AWEX, in collaboration with CBL-ACP, is organizing six webinars in 2024 on the countries of Southern Africa.
- This region is driven by the development of South Africa.
- Some of these countries have strong ties with Belgium, in particular South Africa, Madagascar and Malawi.
- Belgium is Southern Africa’s 3rd largest European supplier
- Like all of Africa, these countries are experiencing strong growth in population, urbanization and consumption.
- Urban development will require, among other things, infrastructure and water purification works.
- These countries are endowed with minerals that are essential to the energy transition.
- According to Ursula von der Leyen, “The European Commission and the EU High Representative have defined the ‘Global Gateway’, a new European strategy to develop smart, clean and secure digital, energy and transport links, and to strengthen health, education and research systems worldwide”. The first major milestone was the Africa-Europe investment package, with some 150 billion euros earmarked for strengthening cooperation with African partners.
- Namibia presents itself as a new energy hub, and could thus become an engine of development for the region.